Facebook Cover: The Entrance to Your Brand's Facebook Space. Get Going!
On our journey through Facebook Brand Pages, we still encounter Facebook Brand Pages that have yet to add a cover photo. Since March, our graphic designers have created a few Facebook covers for our clients. The collection might inspire you with one or two ideas for your own.
Our graphic designers are on stand-by if inspiration moves you to tackle this. If you are already working with a graphic designer, or a print expert who provides you with design services, they might not be familiar with the requirements for a Facebook Cover Graphic, we post a few notes and hints on the bottom of this article:
Center for Health Value Innovation:
Joy Davidson Presents
Facebook has a few rules for the Facebook Cover
Facebook has a few rules regarding the Cover Photo published in Facebook Pages Terms:
Your Cover can't be deceptive, infringe on someone else's copyright; you are not allowed to encourage people to upload your cover to their own timeline.
Keep your cover
- free of any pricing information. You can not use it to promote products or specials
- Put your contact information or webaddress, phone number etc into the "About"? section. They are not allowed on your FB Cover
- On the old pages, quite a few business had graphics that would point to the "Like"? button to entice people to click on it. That is not allowed on the FB cover picture.
- Remove all calls to action, such as"Get it Now!"? or "Tell your friends"?
In essence you can use your brand's facebook page cover to advertise or promote your "image," almost like you would in an "image" or "brand" print ad of that size. On a side note, the Facebook cover photo is an idea that walks a very fine line between allowing you to promote your service or business but also restricts you enough to, perhaps, entice you to buy Facebook ads or sponsored posts. But I digress. This will be another post.
Graphic Dimensions For Facebook Cover
- Official Facebook cover photo size: 851 pixels wide by 315 pixels tall
- Official minimum image dimension: 720 pixels wide
On CopyBlogger, I also found the info regarding the Profile Picture that is overlapping the Cover photo on the bottom left.
- Profile icon cut-out: 168 pixels wide by 103 pixels tall, spaced 24 pixels from the left edge of the cover photo
- Profile icon size: 160 x 160 pixels, with a minimum image upload size of 180 x 180 pixels
In our experience, it's best to upload a slightly larger image with the above mentioned aspect ratio. It will allow you to fine tune placement via drag & drop in the live view. It might take a few attempts to get it right. The default behavior of the upload feature is to auto-resize the image when placed on the page.
After each upload of a Facebook Cover, a post announcing the new Facebook Cover is automatically put on your page. It might not be all that relevant to your audience, that you took a few attempts to get the right photo uploaded.
Feel free to show off your Facebook covers and share your tips & tricks in the comments. Don't forget the link to your Facebook page!